By Zack Perry // All Photos by Zack Perry
Author’s Note: While this began as an outline for a piece that was going to be much more conventional and formal, I realized that this outline encapsulated the energy of Sasquatch better than any conventional write-up. Sasquatch is a festival of such incredible magnitude that the magic all blurs together – everything that winds up standing out is just a moment in time. Sasquatch is just this 5 day stretch of time threaded together by one incredible moment after another, there really is no conventional way to capture it. I don’t claim or pretend to believe that the way I recount my experience is the “proper” way to do it, I just believe it’s the one that best suits me. So, please, enjoy.
- Check My Phone’s Email Randomly To See Sasquatch Had Approved My Media Pass/ Drop My Phone/Long History Of Narrowly Missing Sasquatch/First Time Finally Making It Out/Overwhelming Sense Of Gratitude/Having To Find A Ride Last Second/”I Had Completely Forgotten About Sasquatch Until My Press Pass Was Confirmed And I Had To Figure Camping Out”/Party Moms From The 80s Hooking It Up With A Gold Camp Ticket
- Departure From SE Portland/The 6 Hour Drive/Arriving To The Festival At Sundown/Awestruck By Beauty/ “THIS Is Gold Camp?”/ Lucked Out/ Camping in Gold/Turns Out Camp Is At The Entrance To The Ampitheater/Meeting Up With The Moms/Setting Up Campsite With The Help Of My Wyoming Born Neighbors/Early Bedtime For An Early Riser
- Okay Maybe Waking Up At 6 AM Was A Little Hasty For Day One/Music Doesn’t Start Until 4, What Am I To Do?/Walking Around, Taking Pictures, Searching For Beer/I Have Seen 3 Texas Lonestars In 20 Minutes/Found An Abandoned Post At The Edge Of The Campgrounds, Smoked A Bowl In The Porta Potties, Because Who Can Tell Me No?/Find My Ride In GA/Drink Beer And Eat Vodka Gummies/Back To Camp To Eat And Maybe Drink More Beer/Time To Officially Begin Sasquatch
- Telekenisis Has a Drummer For A Singer/Unkown Mortal Orchestra Can Fucking Shred And Sufficiently Melted My Face/Shoutout To Andra Day For Being An Angel In Human Form/Andra Day’s Voice Carries Throughout The Entire Gorge
- Walking Up The Hill To See The View Of The Gorge For The FIRST Time/Everybody Said I Would Cry/I Can Understand Why Now/There Is No Other View Like This In Musical History
- What Happens When Vince Staples Has 2+ Years Of Touring Underneath His Belt/Why Vince Staples Is The Best Rapper/Vince Staples Continually Gets Better With Every Show/Vince Staples Murdered Sasquatch/Vince Staples Now Serving 500+ Consecutive Life Sentences/Vince Staples Gets Early Release For Good Behavior/Vince Staples Bodies ANOTHER Crowd The Next Night/The Cycle Continues
- It’s 9 In The Evening, Do You Know Where Your A$AP Rocky Is At?/It’s 9:20, Why Is A$AP Rocky’s DJ Still Playing?/It’s 9:30 Why Is A$AP Twelvy The Only A$AP We Have Right Now?/It’s 9:40, I Believe The Crowd Is Suffieciently Warmed Up Now/It’s 9:43, Where In The World Is A$AP Rocky?/A$AP Rocky Appears Out Of Thin Air Like He Had Been There All Along/Rocky Hits The Stage Like A Bull In Heat/Rocky Makes Up For Lost Time 10-Fold/Rocky Plays The Hits/Rocky Plays A Thirty-Five Minute Set/People Are Still Satisfied/
- Chet Faker Is One Funky Duckling/I Heard Multiple Mentions Of His Cover Of No Diggity From Opposite Ends Of The Campgrounds Within An Hour And A Half(Before His Set Even Happened)/How Do You Define Chet Faker?/Chet Faker Is Music That People Can Dance To
- Regretting Not Having A Laptop With Me/This Coverage Would Be Substantially Different If I Had, Though/Media Lounge Is Lit/Time For Bed, Back At It Again Tomorrow/Fall Asleep At One
- Rise To The Sun Directly In My Fucking Face/Switch Positions In My Tent Until I Give Up/Get Up Too Early/Go Into The Festival Early Because Fuck It/Directly To Media Lounge/Media Lounge Is Still Lit, Fam/Saturday Is The Most Musically Stacked Lineup Of My Life, Thus Far…
- Tangerine Sound Exactly Like Their Name/Brothers From Another Could Not Be More Grateful To Be Here/Positive Hip Hop Reigns Supreme At Sasquatch
- Speaking Of Positive Hip Hop, Raury Is The Prodigal Indigo Child/Raury And I Are The Same Age/Raury Takes Performing To Another Level/I Witnessed Raury Drain All Of His Energy Into The Crowd/Raury Might Not Be A Preacher, But He Can Take Your Ass To Church And Show You Glimpses Of Heaven
- Natasha Leggero Is A Standup Comedian/Natasha Leggero Is A Really GOOD Standup Comedian/Natasha Leggero “Dresses Casual” For Sasquatch/Natasha Leggero Just Got Married But Won’t Call Her Boyfriend Her Husband Yet/Natasha Leggero Didn’t Think She Was The Kind Of Comedian You Smoke Weed To?
- Ty Segall Might Be Wearing The Same Baby Mask As Me?/How Awkward Would It Be If We Showed Up Wearing The SAME Baby Mask?/Ty Segall Fucks With Photographers/Ty Segall Almost Puked On The Photographers/Ty Segall Wearing A Grateful Dead Shirt, Which Is Ironic Because His Band Is The Psych-Garage Rock Version Of The Dead
- Back To The Media Lounge/Recuperating Off Of Free Snacks And Positive Energy/How Am I This Tired Already? Right, No Caffeine/Who Is M. Ward? Right, She & Him/Oh Yeah, M. Ward Is Everywhere/M. Ward Is Dadrock Incarnate/M. Ward Is A Love Song Virtuoso
- Lucas Brothers Cancelled And I Don’t Know If I Can Ever Forgive Them/Took A Nap On The Hill During Digable Planets/’Dog It’ Is Still A Fucking Banger/Blind Pilot Are The Happiest Guys To Ever Perform Sad Songs
- Beat Connection Are If Your High School’s Varsity Polo Team Found Out That They Could Get Laid Easier If They Just Played Music/Time For Another Little Break To Garner Energy For The Rest Of The Night
- Vic Mensa Has 30 Riot Cop Cutouts On Stage With Him/Vic Mensa Moves Like A Tazmanian Devil With A Speed Problem/Vic Mensa Raps From His Heart/Vic Mensa Performs 16 Shots, A Tribute To LaQuan Donald/Vic Mensa Makes Everyone Painfully Aware Of The Realities Of Police Violence With His Long Outro Featuring News Bulletins About Laquan
- Dr. Steve Brule Opens Up For Major Lazer? Announces Season 4 Of His Show/Kids Are Freaking Out Over John C. Reilly/The Surprise Was Ruined For Me Before Sasquatch/Major Lazer Begins And I Lose My Shit/Sprint Down To The Very Bottom/Too Original Comes On While I’m Still Running/Dancing And Running/Gigging For 30 Straight Minutes, Unaware Of My Surroundings/Guy Gets Fresh Glass Beer Taken Away, He Is Sad Panda/Very Few Things Move Me Like Major Lazer Moves Me/Guards Thought I Was High, Nah, I Was Just Dancin’/Perfect Way To End The Day/Who Needs A Tycho Reunion?
- Cosmos Took Me Up To The Stratosphere Then Dropkicked Me Back To Earth And I Crash Landed With A Better Idea Of Who I Was As A Person/Since When Did It Become Trendy To Wear NASA Jumpsuits?/Cosmos Are One Of The Few Acts I Saw That Garnered An Encore Chant
- The More I Look At My Schedule, Sunday Is So Fucking Stacked It’s Almost Overwhelming How Much Talent Is Here In One Day. Too Bad I Am In The Media Lounge Backing Up All Of My Photos For 2 Hours Because Hannah Is A Lifesaver
- The Winds Were Really Raging, So Much So That The Mainstage Had To Cancel All Of The Daytime Sets/ Tacocat, Houndmouth, Saint Motel All Had To Cancel Their Sets/ Tacocat Is Rescheduled For Later, The Others Aren’t/Press Know Nothing/ Nobody Tells Us Anything/Communication Should Be Key, Yet Somehow Isn’t
- Lauren Lapkus Improvised On Stage As A Made Up Character For An Hour With Todd Barry/ Lauren Lapkus Is Impressive/ Todd Barry Is Bewildered By Her Answers, Even If He Doesn’t Fully Show It
- TACOCAT Killed El Chupacabra/They Got Really Drunk In Between Sets/They Were The Definition Of Fun/Bubbles And Smoke EVERYWHERE/Everyone Is Matching Aesthetics Except For The Dude Guitarist In His 36″ Chain And High Times Hat
- Because Leon Bridges‘ Set Was Cancelled, He Decided To Play An Impromptu Set In The Grass Of Main Stage/ Surrounded By Hundreds Of Politely Silent(And Some Who Weren’t) Concertgoers, Leon Serenaded Us With Just An Acoustic Guitar/You Could Feel The Soul From A Mile Away(Which Is What It Felt Like)
- Mac Demarco Is A Big Goofball Who Likes To Have Fun/Mac Demarco’s Aesthetic Is A Crooked Smile And Cigarette Holes In Jeans/ This Was The Set Where Kids Were Losing Their Shit The Most
- Main Stage Is Back Open Finally/Alabama Shakes Can Put Life Back Into A Cadaver/ The Amount Of Energy That Pours Out Of Brittany Howard Is Insane
- Purity Ring Might Have Had The Most Intense Stage Setup I’ve Ever Seen/ Drums Made Out Of Lightup Cottonswabs/Being Serenaded With Angelic Vocals While Kicked In The Throat With Beats
- Waiting For The Cure By Playing “How Does Robert Smith Warm Up For A Cure Show?”*/ What Can I Even Say About The Cure That Hasn’t Already Been Written A Thousand Times?/ Obviously Everyone Was Crying/ As Drunk Girl Was Saying As She Clutched Less-Drunk Girl, “This Is Everything…. This Is Everything….This Is Everything…..This…Is…Everything…”
- Words Can’t Even Explain How Much I Was Looking Forward To Big Grams/ I Was Actively Dancing To Nothing Just Singing “Big Grams” To Myself As I Waited For Them To Come On/ Big Boi and Phantogram/ The Chemistry Between Them Would Make You Believe They Had Always Been A Group/Big Boi Has MOVES/Sarah Brings Her Mom Out/They Remix Outkast And Phantogram/ They Live Remix Black Out Days/ Big Boi Plays To The Crowd With Mrs Jackson & The Way You Move/They Are Sensational/I Danced With Mac Demarco And Watched John C. Reilly Observe The Crowd
- Back To My Camp/Interrupted By “Titty Pong”/What Is Titty Pong?/Fuck It, Let’s Just Play Beer Pong/ “Clyde Drexler!” “Dirk Nowitzky!” “Mike Bibby!”/ “Can We Play If We Bring Extra Beer And Some Tequila?”/ Won One; Lost One/ “Hey Guys Can You Keep It Down? Also, I Don’t Know Whose Pipe That Is, But Outta Sight, Outta Mind, You Know?”/ Here Come The Golf Cart Terrorists Rolling Through Immediately After We Are Told To Quiet Down: PARTY POLICE WE ARE HERE TO DRINK YOUR BEER AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE PLAYING BY THE RULES… CELEB SHOT…. ROLL OUT BOYS/ / Security Car Rolls In Shortly After/ I Can Smell Trouble From A Mile Away, Time To Go To Bed/ Came Back In The AM, Camp Was GONE, Without A Trace/ Rumors Of A Drug Raid?
- *Things Robert Smith Does To Prepare For A Cure Show:
- Watch Mufasa’s Death In The Lion King
- Watch Old ASPCA “In The Arms Of An Angel” TV Ads
- Read Where The Red Fern Grows
- Watch The End Of Old Yeller
- Reads Local Obituaries
- Watches Cable TV News
- Listens To The Audiobook Of Memoirs of a Geisha
- Helping A Friend De-Stress About A Lens Fogging/Feel Like A Metric Ton Of Wet Bricks Hit Me At 2 PM/ Why Did My Immune System Shut Down?/ Why Is It All I Can Think About Is My Illness?/What Kind Of God Makes Me Sick On The Last Day Of Squatch?
- Shoutout To Sir The Baptist, I Know I Missed Your Set, But You Were Incredibly Nice, Complimented My Hat, And Everyone I Know Was Floored By Your Set/Everyone Should Go Check Out Sir The Baptist, Wherever He May Be.
- The Internet Have Long Since Stepped Out Of The Shadows Of Odd Future/The Internet’s Jazzy Vibes Have You Walking With The Clouds In No Time/Syd The Kid Has The Voice Of An Angel Who’s Been Granted A Work Visa So She Can Stay On Earth And Spread Her Message Through Song
- SOAK Has An Abyss In Her Voice/ Her Voice Carries For Miles And Comes From Depths Unknown/ Only 20 But Carries Herself Like A Seasoned Professional/ The Prettiest Teal Fender Strat You Ever Did See
- Titus Andronicus Have The Market Cornered For Existential Angst/ Titus Might Be The Punkest Band At Sasquatch/ I Haven’t Heard Riffs Or Drums Like This All Weekend/Titus Normalizes Existential Dread
- Oddisee Is Back And Better Than Ever/ Performing At His A Game With His Live Band Backing Him/ Much More Energy Than Treefort/ “The Good Fight” Is One Of The Best Rap Albums Of 2015/ Nobody Will Tell You The Truth Better And Right To Your Face Than Oddisee/ Oddisee Lays Brutal Truths Out So Matter Of Factly It Almost Seems Casual
- Had To Return To Titus To Dwell In The Existential Dread For A While/ At This Point Thoughts Become Less Coherent And More Focused On My Deteriorating Well Being/ My Immune System Collapses/ I Am Hit With The Sickness Like A Ton Of Wet Bricks/ Down With The Sickness/ Too Disturbed To Continue At This Pace
- Despite Every Fiber Of My Being Telling Me To Lay Down In The Middle Of The Path, King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard Were Up Next
- King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard Are A Band That Have Been Eluding Me For Years/ Every Time They Play A Portland Show It Is 21+/ Finally Time To See These Australian Weirdos Do Their Thing/ King Gizzard Is Making Out With His Mic Stand/ Why Does He Have A Flute?/ Two Drummers On Stage?/ How Many Band Members Do You Need?/ What Is This, Typhoon?
- King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard Defy All Musical Expectations/ The Only Way To Describe This Band Is With A String Of Loose Adjectives/ Psychedelic-Garage-Lo-Fi-Heavy-Surf-Punk/ What Kind Of King Plays A Flute During A Metal Song?/King Gizzard Revitalized Me Enough To Melt My Face To The Floor/After The Photo Pit Closes I Watch The Rest Of Their Set From The Balcony Of The Media Lounge, It Was Lit.
- Meander Over To The Mainstage For Sufjan Stevens/Find A Prime Spot In The Grass Patches To Post Up And Try Not To Pass Out/Group Of 8 Drunkards Stand In Front Of My Prime Spot, Fuck It, I’ll Join Their Group/Join The Drunkards, But Sitting Down/Sufjan Comes On Adorning Angel Wings
- Sufjan Stevens Is Much More Of A Musical Genius Than People May Give Him Credit For/The Orchestration Of Sufjan’s Set Was As Angelic As His Wings/His Horns Had Me Weeping, Or Maybe That Was The Illness/ “It Wouldn’t Be A Sufjan Show Without A Few Songs About Death”-Sufjan Stevens/ Thousands Of People Openly Weeping To “Casimir Pulaski Day”, Me Weeping Alongside Them
- The Final Hours/How Long Can I Maintain?/Will I Make It To Florence And The Machine?/Time To Rest In The Media Lounge Until Then To Find Out
- Turns Out I Could Make It To Florence, But Only Barely/ I Stumbled Up The Hill And Found An Empty Patch Of Grass/Florence Comes On In The Single Most Magnificent Dress You’ve Ever Seen/Her Stage Setup Might Very Well Be The Most Intricate Of The Weekend, For Good Reason/ The Lights Radiating From The Stage Were Almost Cosmic/Florence Welch Might Actually Be A Siren In Disguise/Florence’s Voice Breaks The Sound Barrier/My Ears Achieve A Level Of Bliss They Had Not Experienced Before
- Forence And The Machine Are Actually Transcendental/ My Body Can’t Handle Any More Of Her Awesome Power, Or The Terrible Illness Coursing Through It’s Veins/ Painful Goodbye To Florence/Walking Down The Main Hill For The Last Time/Making My Rounds/Saying “Until Next Time” To Everyone Around Me/It’s Been Real Sasquatch
Tuesday and Beyond:
- Hallucinate All Night In My Tent From My Wicked Fever/Wake Up Unmotivated To Find My Ride In GA/Fall Back Asleep Into The Same Dream 6 Times/Empty The Contents Of My Nose/Ride FINDS ME; Overthrown With Glee/It’s Time To Go/Say My Blessings To The Gods Of Sasquatch For Blessing Me With A 5 Day Excursion Into Nowhereland To See The Best Live Music In The World/Sasquatch Is Truly One Of A Kind And I Realize That Now, Beyond A Reasonable Doubt/One Of The Most Painfully Euphoric Rides Home/Catching A Ride To My Ride/Catching A Ride From My Ride To Home/Jump Into The Shower/Cannonball Into Bed/Sleepsquatch.
“Thank you and goodnight, Sasquatch.”-Leaving the gates for the last time, for the first time.